The Martin Coryell House Bed and Breakfast, Lambertville, NJ logo
LAMBERTVILLE, NEW JERSEY


Library - Stained Glass Window

Since we purchased the building from The First Presbyterian Church in Lambertville - and this window is not in photos that we have from the early 1900's - we had always assumed it was an addition by the church sometime after it was deeded to them by Martin Coryell's granddaughter, Camille Erisman Bryan, in 1953.

However, a discussion with Reverend Thompson - the retired pastor of The First Presbyterian Church (who also lived in the building with his family as "The Manse" of the church for many years) enlightened us to the fact that the wording on the stain glass originally said: "Heat is Life".

Rev. Thompson removed the "at" with a razor blade because he thought "He is life" was more appropriate for the use of the building as the church's manse.

Stained Glass Window

Armed with that information, we started looking at the window with different eyes and re-reading some of the documentation we had about Martin Coryell. One of the documents was written by R. W. Raymond (the second President of the American Institute of Mining Engineers, "AIME") in February 1887 for the "Transactions" of the AIME".

This document is entitled "Biographical Notice of Martin Coryell" and was written shortly after Martin's death in November 1886. According to this article, Martin Coryell was a founding member of the AIME and an early secretary (perhaps the first secretary) of the AIME.

We are reasonably certain that the center of the stained glass window are letters - A I M E - and the items holding the scroll certainly appear to be the same as the tools in the current day logo of the AIME.

AIME Logo

We suspect that this stained glass window may have been a presentation piece of some sort to Martin Coryell by the AIME - we also believe it was probably originally in a different window in the house - probably at the top of the center hall stair case - which was turned around to create a private entrance for Martin's granddaughter when she deeded the house to the church (she retained life rights and lived in the building another 6 years, until her death in 1959).

We have contacted the AIME and provided them with a photo of the window as well as our research and are hoping they may have some information in their archives to substantiate our theories.